The massive Democratic victories expected in the 2018 midterm elections could fizzle if the party continues to neglect Black voters.
In the latest example that should alarm the party, Missouri’s Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, who is White, has come under heavy criticism back home from African-American constituents who are angry because they feel she’s taking them for granted, The Kansas City Star reported.
Black Missouri lawmakers refused to come to McCaskill’s aid by signing a letter she wrote, designed to defend her from a prominent St. Louis Black activist who blasted her at a town hall meeting in February. Signing the letter won’t achieve her goal and only “make people angry,” Missouri Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, who’s Black, told the newspaper.
The Democratic Party’s neglect of loyal Black voters is likely one of the reasons that polls show that the race for control of Congress is tightening. Democrats held a 16-point edge in February that has shrunk to just 6 points in a CNN poll reported on Thursday.
Warnings about Black dissatisfaction with the party are not new. The signs were there after African-American women swept Democratic candidates to victory last year in Virginia and Alabama, the Washington Post reported.
As a Democratic voting bloc, Black women were key to helping Hillary Clinton win the popular vote in 2016. However, the party has failed to be forceful on issues that matter to the Black community, such as criminal justice reform, education and health care, according to New Jersey Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on Black Women and Girls.
“Black women have long been on the forefront of change and progress in this country. Sadly, we are so often left on the sidelines of critical discussions and policymaking that disparately impacts us and the communities we support,” Coleman told the Post.
Justice For Stephon Clark: 20 Photos Of Protest And Heartbreaking Moments In Sacramento
1. Stephon Clark's Grief-Stricken BrotherSource:Getty 1 of 20
2. Stephon Clark's Brother Speaks To ProtestersSource:Getty 2 of 20
3. Stephon's Clark Brother Sends Poignant MessageSource:Getty 3 of 20
4. Protesters Take To The StreetsSource:Getty 4 of 20
5. Black Lives Matter Activists Join ProtestSource:Getty 5 of 20
6. BLM Shouts For JusticeSource:Getty 6 of 20
7. Protesters Call For End To "Genocide" Of People Of ColorSource:Getty 7 of 20
8. Protest Signs Speak VolumesSource:Getty 8 of 20
9. Activists Crowd The BlockSource:Getty 9 of 20
10. Women Stand For ClarkSource:Getty 10 of 20
11. Stopping "Cops Who Kill"Source:Getty 11 of 20
12. Clark Remembered At WakeSource:Getty 12 of 20
13. Clark HonoredSource:Getty 13 of 20
14. Stephon Clark's Brother Takes A StandSource:Getty 14 of 20
15. Hundreds Attend Sacramento City Council Meeting On Clark's DeathSource:Getty 15 of 20
16. Sacramento Kings Shout Out StephonSource:Getty 16 of 20
17. Demonstrators Protest Clark's Fatal Police ShootingSource:Getty 17 of 20
18. BLM Makes A PointSource:Getty 18 of 20
19. Protesters Begin To Make Noise About ClarkSource:Getty 19 of 20
20. Protests Erupt Over ClarkSource:Getty 20 of 20
Wake Up! Democrats Are About To Lose The Black Vote For The Midterm Elections was originally published on newsone.com