With Democrats preparing to cast ballots this weekend, The Hill identified, which of the several candidates, 240 of the 447 voting members intend to support. Ellison leads with 105 supporters to Perez’s 57, while the other major candidates have less than a dozen supporters each. More than 50 voting members are undecided.
Still, the news outlet predicts the race to clinch the 224-vote threshold for victory will unfold in multiple rounds of voting. The candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated after each round until one of them wins a majority.
In the other corner, the party’s establishment wing backs Perez, the former labor secretary in the Obama administration. Former Vice President Joe Biden and former Attorney General Eric Holder have endorsed Perez.
According to The Hill, a growing number of Democrats believe the conditions are ripe for the voters to back a candidate from the middle.
“What you have are two strong, well-established candidates, each of whom represent factions of the Democratic Party, and in this case they are factions that aren’t at war but don’t see eye to eye. In those cases, you often see candidates who can unite the middle,” Steve McMahon, a democratic strategist, told The Hill.
The news outlet said South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg is receiving a lot of buzz as the consensus candidate. He received the endorsement of Howard Dean, a former DNC chairman and presidential candidate.
SOURCE: The Hill
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U