Whether you dress it up for a gala or down for a chic afternoon out on the town, white is making its mark past Labor Day. Where did this rule that seems to have been around forever come from?
The whole idea of no white after Labor Day is an old adage pre-dating the 1900’s. Practically, white is worn in summer because the light color keeps one cool, whereas black absorbs heat. Not only did women and men wear this to stay cool pre-AC days, but also as a sign of wealth and status. Not only is white hard to keep clean, but also hard to not sweat in it (we all know those yellow stain culprits). Wearing white meant you could afford to wear white.
The exact date for the o”official end of summer,” happened in 1894 when Labor Day became a national holiday. Like everything, fashion evolves and our favorite stars are proving that you can do away with this fashion constricting rule.
Often referenced as winter white (not to be confused with a summer white), you will look classy and uber put together in this trend. Not sure how to wear white in the cooler months?
Keep on reading below for fashion influence from some of your favorite celebrities.
All white dresses on the red carpet are not out of the norm.
You will stand out and look festive and angelic in this color. Nervous about getting your ensemble dirty? Stick to champagne or white wine and stick with dry finger foods.
Rihanna proves ivory is iconic for this season. Rocking Celine pants, she looks so fab while out in NYC.
She paired the pants with a shearling coat for a fashionably warm look, playing up winter neturals. I’m in love with this ivory flared pants that will look perfect at the office paired with a black or nude turtleneck or even a cashmere sweater. Don’t listen to the old fashion adage that light colors are for the top and dark colors are for the bottom.
Don’t be afraid of pairing white on white, either. White on white looks elegant when worn as a pantsuit or a set. First Lady Michelle Obama shows us just how classic of a look this is while appearing on The Steve Harvey show.
She looks stunning and paired this look with beige heels. Give it a more modern look and pair with a metallic shoe in silver.
You see how great Serena Williams looks, pairing her white ensemble with a silver pump? Stylish!
All white looks great when worn as a pants set. Whether you choose a straight leg, wide leg or crop, the look is a winner as proved by Solange, Zendaya, and Kelly Rowland.
Beauties, take our poll below, do you wear white after Labor Day?
TREND REPORT: Sexy Little Black Dresses, Sheer Style, & Statement Pieces
TREND REPORT: 7 Trends For Spring Summer 2017 From Black Designers At NYFW
1. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 1 of 27
2. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 2 of 27
3. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 3 of 27
4. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 4 of 27
5. LA LA ANTHONY, SERENA WILLIAMS, CIARASource:Getty 5 of 27
6. GO GRAYSource:Getty 6 of 27
7. GO GRAYSource:LaQuan Smith SS17 7 of 27
8. GO GRAYSource:LaQuan Smith SS17 8 of 27
9. GO GRAYSource:Hello Beautiful 9 of 27
10. STRIPESSource:Hello Beautiful 10 of 27
11. STRIPESSource:Getty 11 of 27
12. STRIPESSource:Getty 12 of 27
13. STRIPESSource:Getty 13 of 27
14. STRIPESSource:Getty 14 of 27
15. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 15 of 27
16. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:LaQuan Smith SS17 16 of 27
17. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 17 of 27
18. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:LaQuan Smith SS17 18 of 27
19. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Hello Beautiful 19 of 27
20. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 20 of 27
21. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 21 of 27
22. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:LaQuan Smith SS17 22 of 27
23. IN MY WHITE TEESource:Getty 23 of 27
24. IN MY WHITE TEESource:Getty 24 of 27
25. IN MY WHITE TEESource:LaQuan Smith SS17 25 of 27
26. FLOURISH WITH FLORALSSource:Getty 26 of 27
27. FLOURISH IN FLORALSSource:Hello Beautiful 27 of 27
TREND REPORT: Winter White Brings Ethereal Elegance Straight Into Spring was originally published on hellobeautiful.com