The White Georgia county commissioner who called Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) a “racist pig” on social media has rejected calls for his resignation, Atlanta’s WSB-TV reports.
“I don’t know where we go from here, but resigning is not it,” Gwinnett County Commissioner Tommy Hunter told the news outlet. “We don’t resign because of something somebody says.”
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution published a screenshot of Hunter’s inflammatory comments, which he posted on Saturday. In the Facebook post, which was deleted by Monday, Hunter says “John Lewis is racist pig,” labels Democrats as “Demon-rats” and calls Democrats “a bunch of idiots” for believing that the presidential polls were correct and disputing the actual outcome of the presidential election.
Hunter’s post was in response to Lewis saying that he did not view President-elect Donald Trump as “a legitimate president” because of U.S. intelligence agencies’ concluded that Russia used cyber espionage to help Trump win the election.
Hunter came under fire for his disparaging remarks about Lewis.
“Mr. Hunter is a disgrace to Gwinnett County and Georgia,” Gwinnett Democratic Party Chairman Gabe Okoye told WSB-TV. “I call on Mr. Hunter to resign immediately. I call on all Democrats to contact Mr. Hunter with the same message.”
The commissioner admitted to WSB-TV that his remarks were inappropriate. “I didn’t mean it to be derogatory. I meant it to make him mad,” he stated to the news outlet.
Hunter added that it wasn’t until he stated getting calls on Monday that he reflected on his choice of words.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
White Georgia County Commissioner Refuses To Resign After Calling John Lewis A ‘Racist Pig’ was originally published on newsone.com