On Monday April 6, the World & The DMV lost a jewel and a great Man of God in the name of “Bishop James Flowers.”
Bishop Flower was a staple in this community and was the Pastor of the Shining Star Freewill Baptist Church in Seat Pleasant, Maryland.
After a long illness, Bishop Flower sat at the feet of Jesus to continue in his final resting place. Here is Bishop Flowers complete Bio & History at Shining Star.
Bishop James N. Flowers, Jr was born in Longwood, North Carolina to the late James Norvell Flowers, Sr. and Lizzie Flowers. He accepted Christ at an early age. While in North Carolina, he was a faithful and dedicated member of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church until he moved to Washington, D.C. where he joined the Carmody Hills Baptist Church. Every year he travels, back to Longwood, North Carolina on the 4th Sunday of June to be the guest preacher for their church and Pastor’s Anniversary.
Bishop Flowers was ordained as a deacon and remained faithful as a deacon until he accepted the Call of God to preach the gospel. He was licensed to preach the gospel in 1978 and ordained in 1980 while yet a faithful member at Carmody Hills Baptist Church. In 1982, being led by God,he organized the Shining Star Mission Baptist Church which is now know as Shining Star Freewill Baptist Church.
Under the leadership of Bishop Flowers the following changes and blessings can be attributed to his dedication and hard work.
- Founded the F.A.D. Center (Families against drugs) this program was listed as one of the top ten drug prevention programs in the United States.
- Served as one of the Directors of the Christmas in April Organization
- Received the key to the City of Seat Pleasant
- Received many humanitarian certificates and awards
- Recorded over 9 cd’s, several DVDs,
- Wrote many gospel songs
- purchased the land and buildings adjacent on both sides of the church which
- holds a barbershop and provides space for class rooms
- Renovated and expanded our Sanctuary
- Performed many concerts for charitable organizations
- Provided Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners annually which fed over 500 people
Bishop Flowers furthered his education through the Liberty Bible College in Lynchburg, Virginia and Prince Georges Community College. He is a certified adult and teen parenting instructor.
He has been married to First Lady Margaret L.Flowers for 58 years. Together they have four children, Randy Flowers, Elder Yolanda Flowers Barnes, Ronnie Flowers and Linda Flowers,two daughters in-law, one son in-law, eleven grand children and four great grand children. His motto is LIVE SO GOD CAN USE YOU!
Bio Source: Family Website
Deitrick Haddon Ex-wife -- Damita Haddon, Finally Breaks Her Silence!
Gospel Singer Shawn Jones Dies On Stage While Singing “Worthy Is He”
Donnie McClurkin Repairing ‘Broken’ Relationship With 12-Year-Old Son Matthew
Tye Tribbett Discusses Affair & Suicide!
Bishop IV Hilliard Speaks On Being Jailed After Church Fight!
One of Gospel Music's Giant Has Passed -- Ms. Lecresia Campbell
The Clergy Respond To Letter From a Birmingham Jail
Rest In Power: Notable Black Folks Who We’ve Lost In 2023