A Texas jury on Tuesday found a white police officer guilty of murder in the 2017 shooting of a Black teenager, the Dallas Morning News reported.
The case stemmed from Roy Oliver firing five times into a car carrying teenagers leaving a party, killing 15-year-old Jordan Edwards. An internal police investigation found that officers were responding to a report of underage drinking at a house party when Oliver fired a rifle at the vehicle. A bullet went through the passenger-side window and fatally struck the unarmed Edwards in the head.
After 12 hours of deliberations on Monday and Tuesday, the jury found Oliver, 38, not guilty on two other counts of aggravated assault in connection with the shooting. They also rejected finding him guilty of manslaughter, which carries a lesser punishment than murder (20 years compared with up to life in prison).
Jurors watched police body camera footage showing how the situation escalated quickly from Oliver and his partner joking with the party’s host and teenagers until the fatal shooting. Things suddenly became frantic after a gunshot was heard. The two officers dashed out of the house to investigate. Oliver fired into the vehicle Edwards was in as it drove off while his partner was trying to stop the car from leaving the scene.
It turned out that the gunfire came from a nearby nursing home.
Tuesday’s verdict was a rare conviction. There are roughly 1,000 police shootings every year in the United States, but officers seldom face justice. According to CNN, only 80 cops were arrested on murder or manslaughter charges for on-duty shootings between 2005 and April 2017. However, only 35 percent of those arrests led to convictions in that 12-year period.
Aretha Franklin Portrait Photos Of The Queen Of Soul
1. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 1 of 34
2. Aretha Wins Another GrammySource:Getty 2 of 34
3. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 3 of 34
4. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 4 of 34
5. Aretha Franklin Album CoverSource:Getty 5 of 34
6. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 6 of 34
7. 'Aretha Franklin'Source:Getty 7 of 34
8. Aretha Franklin...Source:Getty 8 of 34
9. Night of 100 Stars - May 5, 1990Source:Getty 9 of 34
10. 'Aretha Franklin'Source:Getty 10 of 34
11. 47th Annual Academy Awards RehearsalsSource:Getty 11 of 34
12. 13th Annual Grammy AwardsSource:Getty 12 of 34
13. Headshot Of Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 13 of 34
14. Aretha And TedSource:Getty 14 of 34
15. Photo of Aretha FRANKLINSource:Getty 15 of 34
16. Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 16 of 34
17. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 17 of 34
18. Queen Of Soul PortraitSource:Getty 18 of 34
19. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 19 of 34
20. Queen Of Soul PortraitSource:Getty 20 of 34
21. Queen Of Soul PortraitSource:Getty 21 of 34
22. Aretha Franklin PortraitSource:Getty 22 of 34
23. Queen Of Soul PortraitSource:Getty 23 of 34
24. Aretha Franklin Portrait SessionSource:Getty 24 of 34
25. Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 25 of 34
26. Aretha Franklin Color PortraitSource:Getty 26 of 34
27. Martin Luther King Jr. Benefit ConcertSource:Getty 27 of 34
28. Aretha Franklin With Her Grammy AwardSource:Getty 28 of 34
29. Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 29 of 34
30. Aretha Franklin PortraitSource:Getty 30 of 34
31. Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 31 of 34
32. Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 32 of 34
33. Portrait Of Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 33 of 34
34. Aretha Wins Another GrammySource:Getty 34 of 34
Guilty! Rare Murder Verdict Returned In White Cop’s Killing Of Black Teen was originally published on newsone.com