The Concert for Valor, which will kick off at 7 p.m., is expected to bring about 800,000 people to the National Mall, which means several things: the roads will be a traffic nightmare; the Metro will be a commuting nightmare; and you’ll be unable to bring a lot of things on the Metro and to the concert.
Luckily, DCist is here to provide you with everything you need to know to prepare to see The Boss along with 799,999 other people tomorrow. Or what to avoid, if you don’t want to get caught up in the madness that is The Concert for Valor. We completely understand if that’s the case. If it is, the concert will be broadcast live on HBO and on I Heart Radio.
As previously reported, Metro is opening early tomorrow at 5 a.m. and closes at midnight. There will be no Blue Line service between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt. REPEAT: NO BLUE LINE SERVICE. Instead, additional Yellow Line trains will replace Blue Line trains so that Virginia riders can get to the concert faster. The only station closed tomorrow is the Smithsonian station.
You should also know that both bicycles and large coolers are prohibited on Metro trains all day tomorrow. Metro recommends traveling without transferring and pre-loading your SmarTrip card today in order to avoid long lines.
Here are all the roads that will be closed. Basically, don’t drive to this concert:
- Constitution Avenue NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to 18th Street NW.
- Madison Drive NW from 3rd Street NW to 15th Street NW.
- Jefferson Drive SW from 3rd Street SW to 15th Street SW.
- Independence Avenue SW from 3rd Street SW to 17th Street SW.
- Maryland Avenue SW from Independence Avenue SW to 7th Street SW.
- 3rd Street from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street SW.
- 4th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to C Street SW.
- 6th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Constitution Avenue NW.
- 6th Street SW from Independence Avenue SW to C Street SW.
- 7th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to C Street SW.
- 10th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW.
- 12th Street ramp from I-395 to Pennsylvania Avenue NW.
- 14th Street from E Street NW to C Street SW.
- 15th Street from E Street NW to Maine Avenue SW.
- 17th Street from C Street NW to Independence Avenue SW.
- 4th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to C Street SW will be closed from 12:01 a.m. Monday, November 3 through Wednesday, November 12 at 10 a.m.
- Madison Drive NW from 3rd Street NW to 4th Street NW will be closed from 6 a.m. on November 10 through 10 a.m. on November 12.
What Not To Bring To The Concert
All of these things:
- Glass containers
- Animals (except service animals)
Basically, if you aren’t sure, you probably should leave it home.
Any other questions you may have you can (hopefully) find the answer to here.